Mayor Saud Anwar
Dr. Saud Anwar
Mayor, South Windsor, CT
- Pulmonary and critical care physician
- International peace and humanitarian advocate
- Consultant for the United States Federal government
- International expertise in diplomacy and middle east affairs
- Founder Haiti School for young women
- Medical missionary
- Conference speaker
- Mayor of South Windsor, CT
Saud Anwar is a physician who specializes in Lung Diseases and Critical Care Medicine. Currently, he serves as Chair of the Department of Internal Medicine of Manchester Memorial and Rockville General Hospitals.
Dr. Anwar has been involved in international and national humanitarian and peace initiatives. He is frequently invited to consult for the FBI, Homeland Security and has organized medical missions to Haiti and Pakistan for disaster relief. His efforts have been recognized at the state and federal levels and by multiple professional organizations. Dr. Anwar has received citations for his service from the Governor of CT, Attorney General, Secretary of State and members of the Connecticut General Assembly.
In addition, Dr. Anwar is an expert on international affairs. He has been interviewed on national and international television and radio. These have included: CNN Wolf Blitzer, CNN Deborah Fayereck, CNN Susan Candiotti, NBC 30, CTN, Fox-61, NPR, Vectone TV-UK, Geo TV- Forum, and the Voice of America-International.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND PROFESSONAL ACTIVITIES
- Medical Training: Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine - Yale University
- Master Degree in Public Health – Yale University
- Specialization: Occupational and Environmental Medicine
STATE OF CONNECTICUT
Dr. Anwar is a champion of civil rights, equal opportunity and community health. He participates in activities which foster intergroup understanding and promote the value of diversity within society.
-Former Commissioner- Asian Pacific American Affairs.
-Health Equity Leadership Council of Connecticut.
-Connecticut Safe School Climate Coalition
- Commissioner- State Emergency Response Commission
Dr. Anwar is frequently consulted by the FBI and Homeland Security. His experience and perspective on the Middle East is highly valued.
- Testified to the 109th Congress- Committee on Homeland Security.
- Coordinated a volunteer response to September 11th
- Consultant - FBIs Multi Cultural Advisory Committee
- Conference Speaker- Department of Homeland Security
- Conference Speaker- Office of Secretary Napolitano
Dr. Anwar has been part of medical and diplomatic missions. He has participated in many panels which examine such topics as radicalization, freedom of speech. He has spoken to students throughout the world about freedom, responsibilities and political process in the United States.
- Consultant- British Department of Communities and Local Government
- Chief Coordinator- Conference on Understanding Radicalization and Deradicalization Strategies, Hartford, CT. (Live broadcast throughout the world)
- Peace missions to Israel and Middle East.
- Diplomatic Mission – US- Pakistan Relations
- Medical Mission- Haiti Disaster Relief.
- Medical Mission- Pakistan Earthquake Response
- Conference Speaker – Friends of Europe- Brussels
SOUTH WINDSOR, CT
Dr. Anwar resides in South Windsor, CT with his wife Yusra, also a physician, and his two sons, Taseen and Taha. As Mayor and a member of the Town Council, he is actively involved in community affairs, economic development and leadership.
- Mayor, South Windsor, CT
- Founder - South Windsor United in Diversity
- South Windsor Community Foundation/Board member
- South Windsor Human Relations Commission.
- Former President- South Windsor Haiti School Inc.
PAID FOR BY FRIENDS OF SAUD ANWAR TREASURER ATIF QURAISHI